Happy Blog for Your Breasts Day!
One of the keys to learning is research. When it comes to research about diseases such as Breast Cancer, we need volunteers to be involved. In 2008 a new organization called Army of Women was founded to get to just that…making available a pool of volunteers for cancer research studies.
The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation and the Avon Foundation for Women, a global leader in breast cancer research, joined forces to launch the Love/Avon Army of Women, a partnership between scientists and women.
Their initiative has two key goals:
- To recruit one million healthy women of every age and ethnicity, including breast cancer survivors and women at high-risk for the disease, to partner with breast cancer researchers and directly participate in the research that will eradicate breast cancer once and for all.
- To challenge the scientific community to expand its current focus to include breast cancer prevention research conducted on healthy women.
The Army of Women (AOW) provides an opportunity for men and women to take part in breast cancer research studies aimed at determining the causes of breast cancer–and how to prevent it. The AOW is a groundbreaking initiative that connects breast cancer researchers via the internet with women who are willing to participate in a wide variety of research studies. The goal of the Army of Women is to recruit ONE MILLION MEN AND WOMEN of all ages and ethnicities, including breast cancer survivors and those who have never had breast cancer.
So, how can you help?
- Sign up! You can go here to sign up to be included in the AOW database. This does not sign you up for any specific studies. Instead you will start to receive information on the current studies and are able to voluntarily sign up for each study as it is available.
- Participate in studies that you fit into. Check out the current studies here.
- Invite your friends to sign up for the AOW database!
- Make a donation to the cause.
- Make a purchase from the Army of Women Store to help support and promote the cause.
- Spread the word by posting the following Facebook status: “I signed up to STOP breast cancer before it STARTS. Have you? Join today at www.armyofwomen.org, then copy and paste this status update as your own”.
- Tweet about AOW using the hashtag #WritePink.
- Check out this public service annoucement prepared by AOW or visit the AOW website to learn more.
I recently read an excerpt of a new book by Nancy G. Brinker, the founder of another foundation focused on breast cancer: Susan G. Komen for the Cure. In this excerpt she spoke about the summer that polio ran through towns across America. She remembers her mom raising money to help the scientists find a cure and others who felt a cure was impossible. Today, I don’t have to worry about polio for my children because of those scientists and volunteers. I joined the Army of Women not because I have been personally impacted by breast cancer, but so that my kids can maybe look back at cancer as something they no longer need to worry about.