“Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” ~Desiderius Erasmus
I was reminded of this quote when I was writing about today’s organization. They are giving light – in the form of a purse – to women in need.
Cerise Lewis began the Pink Purse Project as a one-time project where a small group of 15 women gathered to fill purses with soap, deodorant, lotion, hair products, and other women’s necessities. The purses were then taken to the streets of Minneapolis, Minnesota to women who are homeless or in need. Each purse provided a gift of encouragement to the recipients and touched the women who delivered them. In 2009, Cerise decided to continue the project and open it up to the community as an opportunity to donate purses and women’s toiletries and prepare and distribute these items to women in need. Their primary goal is to help women overcome their current negative circumstances and be empowered to fulfill their purpose for life.
The vision of the Pink Purse Project is to empower women to become effective, assertive and confident by building self-esteem and teaching women how to cultivate and leverage their individual skills and abilities to positively impact their life and become influential community leaders. The mission of the Pink Purse Project is to empower and encourage women to become assertive and confident by building their self esteem and giving them a brighter outlook on their life and the future.
This organization is unique because they give women a sense of hope through a gift of a filled purse and words of encouragement. Women are supporting other women and encouraging them to move forward in their lives. Their board consists of all women and their distribution sites are all for women and/or girls. They collect an average of 500-1000 purses and a minimum of 2,000 individual toiletries each year. In 2012, they have a goal to purchase a truck to make their organization mobile. This will allow them to bring their entire stock of purses to the women they support so each woman can choose their own purse.
How can you help?
- The Pink Purse Project has opportunities to help with sorting and preparation of purses for distribution four times each year. You can watch their website for details.
- They always accept donations of toiletries and purses at their Minneapolis location or you can arrange a pick up. You can even coordinate a collection drive. Take a look at their website for a current list of needs.
- You can also contact The Pink Purse Project to host a Purse Party where you can collect purses with friends and learn about the organization at the same time.
- You can also make a monetary donation on their website via PayPal.
- In addition, they are always doing distributions and welcome volunteers to help.